You are here because you can’t use the touchpad on your laptop and you are at the right place. Here we are going to enable the touchpad on your laptop as well as we are also going to fix your unresponsive touchpad too.
There is a difference between enabling and fix unresponsive ones. You will learn more here, for those who want to enable the touchpad these two methods.
Check for HP Touchpad Settings
For those whose drivers are fixed and need no repair, they can use it.
Note: if the external mouse is working then the drivers are fine and need no work. To use the feature, you will only need to enable it.
Go to Settings (you can also use the shortcut keys Windows+I).
Now select Device then click on the Touchpad section.
Inside the Touchpad, you will need to navigate and find the Touchpad Settings. There you can turn it On or Off. Turn it On and you can use the locked touchpad of your HP laptop.
Tip: Users will find function keys. They can also use the function keys to enable the touchpad. In earlier systems, you will find them in orange, yellow, or in blue color. Press the Fn key and press the key with a touchpad icon on your keyboard at a time.
If you find the above method challenging, then you can also double-tap on the dot (in the top left of your touchpad) to enable it.
Related Topic: How to Repair chkdsk Got Stuck in Windows 10?
Enable Touchpad with Device Manager
Here is another method to enable the touchpad. For this method, you will need to access the Device Manager where you can fix it.
- First you will access the Device Manager by typing device manager in Start.
- Then click on Mice and other pointing devices, expand it.
- There you will find HP touchpad, double click on it.
- In Driver tab, you will find options as Enable Device (to enable it) or Disable Device (to disable touchpad).
- Enable the feature and restart your system.
Related Topic: How to Repair Hard Disk Errors on Windows 10?
Cursor or Touchpad is not responding
If the cursor or touchpad is not responding at all then you can use one of the following methods below. Again this is for the system, where you can’t even use your external mouse on your system.
The most basic and universal method to fix any electronic is to restart it. You can restart your system and check again for the cursor. If your problem is fixed then you don’t need to use any of the methods below, else vice versa.
Check for Driver
With this method, we are going to update your drivers. There is a chance that you have corrupt files or have problems with registries. Updating your driver can fix the problem.
- Open Run by pressing Window+R keys.
- Inside type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter.
- There you will need to expand Mice and other Pointing Devices. If you are having problem with cursor, then you can also use the arrow keys on your keyboard. The up and down can navigate whereas the right and left will expand or scale down.
- Below the Mice and other pointing devices, you will find Touch Pad. Press Enter and navigate to Driver tab. You can use tab key to navigate to Driver tab.
- Now select Update driver and automatically update the driver.
- Once the update got completed, restart your system.
Note: make sure you are unplugging your mouse from your system before you restart your system.
If you can’t auto-update your driver, then you will need to update it manually. Most of the time, corrupt files can stop you from updating your drivers automatically. Here is how to manually update your driver (touchpad and mouse).
- Press Windows+R keys on your keyboard and select Run.
- Inside the Run, you will need to type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter.
- Expand Mice and other pointing devices. There you will find the synaptics.
- Press Enter on Synaptics and navigate to Drivers tab.
- Update your drivers and restart your system.
Related Topic: How to Fix Error 0xc004f050 on Windows 10?
These were methods to enable a locked touchpad on HP laptops. Still, if you got any kind of problem or your system is stuck at any phase, please comment below.